Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to the River

This morning I went to the river and I saw a huge white swan. They are so fantastically BIG. Its body budged not when it deigned to bend its neck into the river, and budged not when lifted it again.

I saw a lonely goose, honking for its fellows. A kind of duck I've never seen before, with chocolate feathers, a thin graceful neck and a head with pretty angles instead of one curve. I saw many one-curved Mallards as well.

Three turtles, one solitary and two partnered, the one climbing half atop the other in an attempt to be that much closer to the sun. They were perfectly still, gaining energy, expending none.

I walked along the concrete ledge the seperates the path from the drop to the reeds. I climbed down and poked around the rocks for wildlife but found mostly shit and I think I was making the nesting ducks nervous so I climbed back up. Then I ran through the seagulls and went home.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,Terra. glad to see you posting again. Keep it up. btw did you look up the mystery duck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked for it but it may have been a grebe, it was difficult to tell. I didn't find a picture of one that looked exactly like it, but I'm still curious. I'll look for another at the river next time I go, and try again!

    ReplyDelete